Lake Avenue Cemetery
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Cemetery Index Page
About the Cemetery
The Lake Avenue Cemetery (originally known simply as the “Crystal Lake Cemetery”) is the oldest public burying ground in Crystal Lake and Algonquin Township. The cemetery was laid out in 1840. According to the book, “The History of McHenry County, Illinois,” which was first published in 1885, the first person buried here was Ella King, daughter of Isaac and Almina King.
The cemetery eventually became part of the large estate of Charles S. Dole. Mr. Dole traded the cemetery land to the village of Crystal Lake in exchange for allowing a road to be run down to the lake and his home. The new road changed the orientation of the cemetery. Today’s front of the cemetery actually used to be the back!
Since 1840, nearly 1,200 people have been buried in this two acre cemetery. Many of the early settlers of Crystal Lake are buried here.
The Lake Avenue Cemetery is owned and maintained by Algonquin Township. On August 15, 2000, the Crystal Lake City Council voted unanimously to approve the application for Landmark Designation of the Lake Avenue Cemetery.
About this Burial Database
The information in this database was compiled from a variety of sources, the intent was to document as many of the burials known to be at the Lake Avenue Cemetery. Sources include: Cemetery records, McHenry County Genealogical Society Index of 1987, newspaper articles and obituaries, county histories, and on-site inspection. Updates will be made to the database on an ongoing basis.
This database is the product of many hours of work by two couples: Martin & Julie Sohlberg and Bill & Diana Kenney. The Sohlberg’s provided virtually all of the photographs used in this database. The Kenney’s inputted all of the data and converted it to an online format. The Crystal Lake Historical Society recognizes and thanks these volunteers for their countless volunteer hours.
For additional information about the Crystal Lake Historical Society, please go here.